Friday, November 14, 2008

Post-Election Atmosphere

Since the Presidential Election, I have noticed an unusual vibe in the air. On the surface, it seems like depression, and to some extent I believe that's true. But I think there's more to it.

Since I had been following the election for many months, and since I was becoming more and more excited at the prospect of an Obama victory, I paid close attention the night of the election. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Louisiana would be a red state - a fact that almost kept me from voting at all. In fact, overall, McCain did get 58.5% to Obama's 40%. But my interest lay in the results parish-by-parish. In one parish McCain received 88% to Obama's 12%. In another, 86%-14%. And so on.

With results like that, in light of the overall outcome, it isn't surprising there would be quite a bit of depression in these parts. That's understandable, but that's not the feeling I'm referring to. I mean the Obama supporters who have nothing to say. I know they're around. I've talked to some of them. But they're not easily spotted. As most of the country celebrates the monumental election, Obama supporters in Louisiana are keeping mum.

I would like to think the reason for that is that Obama supporters have class and see no need to gloat. But I'm afraid that's not the whole story. A couple days ago, a few miles from here, something I'd hoped was extinct once again reared it's ugly head. The Ku Klux Klan murdered a woman, a white woman, who had come from Oklahoma to join in their cause. They held an initiation ceremony in the woods with hoods and robes and burning crosses and the whole nine. After several hours of whoopin' and hollerin' and carryin' on, the woman thought better of her decision and tried to leave the festivities. She was shot dead on the spot. The man who shot her, apparently some KKK bigwig whose name doesn't deserve repeating here, then dug the bullet out of her with his pocket knife in an effort to disconnect himself from the crime. My guess is the act wasn't completely unfamiliar to him. Then they hid her body in the woods. They probably would have gotten away with it if two from the group hadn't shown up at a local convenience store, in blood-stained clothes, and asked the clerk how to remove blood from clothing.

So I guess that atmosphere, that vibe in the air...is fear.

One step forward, two steps back.

No comments:

Post a Comment